Friday, June 21, 2013

Book #5 - Fables: The Deluxe Edition Book Three by Bill Willingham (232 pages)


From the moment I began reading on my own I have been obsessed with stories that put an innovative spin on traditional fairytales. Perhaps this is because it gives me a new way to experience a familiar world, or because it allows me to cheat by using preexisting mental constructs, or even because I’m an uber-nerd, but to this day I remain enchanted by these tales. The first time I picked up an issue of Bill Willingham’s comic series Fables, I knew I was in for a treat. Fairytale characters exiled from their homelands by an unknown Adversary and forced to survive in modern society? How could it get any better? I devoured two magical volumes in less than a day and was eager to purchase more but unfortunately this was around the time I went back to school, and my nerdy habits were forced to take a hiatus until I graduated at which point I returned to these beloved characters like the prodigal son returning to his father. Thankfully they welcomed me with open arms.

The deluxe edition of Book Three, titled “March of the Wooden Soldiers,” picks up immediately following the events of the first two books. Fabletown’s community is finally on the mend following the murder of one of their own, an uprising at the home for non-human Fables (known as The Farm), and an assassination attempt aimed at their second-in-command (Snow White) and Sheriff (the Big Bad Wolf, or Bigby). Things start to look up when Red Riding Hood suddenly appears on the steps of Fabletown, almost a century after the last Fable escaped the Homelands. This unexpected miracle is exactly what the citizens need for a quick morale boost, but Little Boy Blue (Red’s former lover) and Bigby are both skeptical about her mysterious appearance after she had been presumed dead for so many years. Old King Cole, the Mayor of Fabletown, insists that the citizens shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth and quickly welcomes Red into their community.

Unfortunately, it turns out that Blue’s and Bigby’s suspicions were correct and Red is not all that she seems. To further complicate matters, an envoy of wooden soldiers appears in the mundane world and wreaks havoc before giving an ultimatum to the Fables: accept the Adversary’s dominion over the new “colony” of Fabletown in exchange for amnesty, or be subject to rule by force. Understandably, this confrontation throws the community into a panic over fear of falling subject to the Adversary’s cruel reign but one Fable in particular feels the tension more than the rest. For Pinocchio, the existence of these wooden soldiers is proof that his father is still alive, trapped somewhere in the Homelands. As the battle for Fabletown draws near loyalties are tested, lives placed in jeopardy, and the fate of their happily ever after hangs in jeopardy.

This type of storyline is something I have been waiting for ever since I began the series; although I enjoyed the previous volumes my mind has never left the Adversary and the inevitable clash between two worlds. In “March of the Wooden Soldiers,” Willingham provides more action for the Fables and hints at what may come without slacking off on character development. With mainstays such as Snow, Rose, and Bigby already well-established, flashbacks and glimpses behind the scenes serve to flesh out characters who appeared two-dimensional at first. Giving these Fables a voice of their own is essential to helping the battle sequences transition beyond mindless violence because it gives the reader a reason to invest in the timeless characters.

For me, one point of curiosity is Willingham’s constant reference to the Homelands and the Adversary. This is most likely a simple way of setting up a black-and-white conflict where good and evil are clearly defined, and yet it makes me wonder if the author holds pro-Israeli views that are subtly spilling out into his writing. Leaving aside the politics of such opinions, it makes me excited that the readers may witness Fabletown’s retaliation against the Adversary in an attempt to reclaim their rightful territories. After all, the Fables have had centuries to build up their strength and develop knowledge of both the magical and mundane, and this time the forces of evil will not be able to take them by surprise. All of that is speculation on my part but I am excited to continue the journey with these Fables, they have worked their way into my heart.

Rating: 8.5/10

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/fables-bill-willingham/1103588477?ean=9781401230975

No comments:

Post a Comment